JUST THE FACTS (Part 1): Common Misconceptions About QUARTZ COUNTERTOPS - Superior Granite | Natural Stone & Quartz Supplier in Pensacola & Pace, FL
Get in Touch

Ah, the internet…arguably the most innovative, world changing tool of the last century, the internet has allowed any and every one access to ALL knowledge currently available. Literally everything that can be known can also be learned online. However, making sure the information you seek is based on facts and not opinion can be tricky.

Like any home service business, we at Superior Granite often have the honor of assisting customers who have misconceptions regarding the material that will work best for their project. These misconceptions often stem from online search results leading to companies or websites that have an agenda (i.e., pushing the particular product they sell). Luckily for our customers, Superior Granite stocks almost every natural stone and quartz option available. Our only agenda is to help you make an informed decision based on how you use your space. Selecting products that will work best for YOU is much easier if you have the facts about each option. Our next few blogs will be dedicated to common misconceptions about specific countertop materials.

QUARTZ– A prevalent misconception about quartz countertops is that they are indestructible. While very durable, quartz is a manufactured or man-made product and does have limitations. Quartz slabs are approximately 90% natural stone that has been ground to the consistency of sand; the remaining 10% is a binding agent made up of epoxy and resin. Resin will discolor or scorch when overheated, so you should avoid any high temperatures coming in contact with your quartz countertops. Use a hot pad or trivet when placing hot pots and pans directly on the surface. Keep in mind that burn or scorch marks are not removable with any cleaner or product. Avoid high temperatures to keep your quartz looking beautiful for years to come.

Also, although quartz is non-porous and unlikely to stain, in some instances it can still discolor depending on the quality of the slab and how long the spilled substance was left on the countertop. Use a damp Magic Eraser to remove discoloration caused by spills or markings with felt tip or ink pens.

Another misconception we hear from customers is that bleach and other harsh chemicals can be used to disinfect quartz surfaces. In actuality, because quartz is non-porous, it is highly resistant to bacteria and doesn’t need bleach to sterilize the surface. To the contrary, undiluted bleach, especially on a recurring basis, can leave a cloudy haze on quartz countertops. Hot water and whatever dish detergent you prefer (Dawn, Joy, Palmolive) will get rid of any germs or bacteria left on your quartz countertops. If you absolutely must use bleach, it should be heavily diluted with water and used sparingly and infrequently. Be sure to also rinse with hot water to prevent a haze from occurring.

We will end with a tidbit that was once common but is no more. When quartz countertops first became available, they were easy to spot as a manufactured product. This no longer the case as most quartz manufacturers have, through trial and error (and a great deal of input from potential customers), created slabs that are often indistinguishable from the pattern and nuances in natural stone.

For customers who want highly functional countertops that are easy to maintain without sacrificing design or personal aesthetic, quartz is quite possibly the product for you. Superior Granite has the largest stock of quartz in the region and three convenient showrooms to assist you in making the best choice for your home. Call or come by today and our sales staff will happily answer any questions you have an dispel any remaining misconceptions you have about quartz slabs!





































Pin It on Pinterest

Share This